|BELCHER OGDEN MANSION|
The Belcher Ogden Mansion originally housed the family of Elizabeth Associate John Ogden in the mid-18th century. About 1751 the then royal Governor of New Jersey, Jonathan Belcher, relocated the center of colonial government from Burlington on the Delaware to Elizabeth NJ. He bought the Ogden residence and lived there until his death in 1757. In that time among other important events Belcher strongly supported the creation of a school which became Princeton University. The school’s first president, Rev. Jonathan Dickinson and his successor, the distinguished Protestant minister, Rev. Jonathan Edwards, both visited Belcher at his residence and won his friendship.
In 1758 William Peartree Smith, a grandson of
NYC mayor, close friend of NJ’s first Governor William Livingston
and himself a member of NJ’s Committee of Correspondence, took ownership
of the house. In 1778 his daughter Catherine married Elisha Boudinot,
brother of Elias Boudinot, President of the Continental
Congress. Alexander Hamilton served as Master of Ceremonies on
that occasion and welcomed distinguished guests including Gen
George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette.